Will your insurance company payout if they discover the power sockets you used were not certified or approved?

Are you proud of the way in which you saved yourself a lot of money by having your power sockets installed on the cheap or by yourself? This satisfaction may be short-lived when, further down the line, you discover that these poor quality power sockets need to be replaced or, even worse, your insurance policy does not cover certified power sockets.

At Corporate Connections, we believe that it is vitally important to have power sockets that have been installed by a certified or approved professional as this ensures that you will be covered should a problem arise. In addition, properly installed power sockets give you the peace of mind that anyone who uses them can do so in a safe manner.

The majority (if not all) of insurance companies will not cover you should a fire occur as a result of a poorly-installed power socket. They will also not provide cover for you if you have to repair your power sockets due to shoddy workmanship. It also goes without saying that they will not cover you for damages and any loss as a result of faulty or incorrect wiring.

Some folks do not realise that although their insurance policy mentions cover for electrical faults, this does not extend to poor, cheap, faulty, or uncertified workmanship. With this in mind, it makes a lot of sense to always use an approved installer for the installation of all your power socket needs.

By installing power sockets yourself or by using an unapproved electrician, you open yourself up to the possibility of an office fire due to faulty electrical wiring. Electric fires have the ability to destroy your entire office, and, in such a case, you would not be covered for your loss by your insurance company. This, therefore, begs the question: surely spending a bit more money on having your power sockets professionally installed outweighs any potential for the loss of an electric fire?

If you consult your insurance policy and read the fine print, you will notice that it is your responsibility to ensure that the wiring of your building is correct and is properly maintained in order to avoid any fire or damage. Of course, a qualified electrician is always the best person to evaluate your building’s wiring, but there are certain signs that you, as a layman, can spot before a fire or blowout occurs.

Should you notice that your power socket plate, plugs or cords feel hot or warm to the touch, this is a sign that something is wrong. Experiencing frequent fuse blowouts or a buzzing or sizzling sound emanating from the power socket is also a big sign that you need to consult with a professional as soon as possible.

Do you have professionally-installed power sockets in your home or building? If you are unsure, the team at Corporate Connections would be happy to give you an evaluation and let you have a free quotation should it emerge that your power sockets need upgrading.